Anxiety and Sleeping Well.
Updated: Dec 22, 2020
We all are habitual and compulsive thinkers, just busy in our thoughts, either thinking about past or future. Just because of our unawareness towards our thoughts we are either busy in our memory or our imagination. Eating, walking, driving, doing anything, we are always busy with our thoughts.
Even though we are the ones who are making them, but in reality we completely possessed by them. Whatever comes to our mind, sometimes we start taking it literally. For eg. I m loosing my self, I can't sleep, I m getting crazy, I am going psychotic. See every thought instigates a feeling on the body, which is exactly matching the kind of thought you think. If you thinking good, you feel good and vice versa. Means our mind and body are highly interconnected. That is the reason we literally start taking our thoughts as us.
Just because we are continuously in this thought process, we associate with them big time. Getting those quiet moments are very difficult and even if achieved, its very short lived. Everyone knows that we should live in present and life is happening here, but it's hard, as chatty mind doesn't stop at all and always takes us for a ride in either our world of memory or imagination.
As discussed in previous topics, because we are receiving signals through our six sense doors non stop, we have no control over the external factors and we constantly make thoughts non stop. We can't know the answer to everything, so it becomes very obvious that some of these thoughts, they bring lots of doubts and insecurities. Whenever we are faced with these insecurities, our mind jumps into action and start the counter measure for our own safety. Resulting in us going back and forth in our thoughts with our thoughts.
Obviously, doubt brings unpleasant sensations, then we talk in our mind and try to bring pleasant sensations back. So this goes in cycles for sometime. What is happening we are using our imagination towards that doubt, making it humongous, and this is getting stored in our memory. Once a memory, just a small trigger and we are doing back and forth with our thoughts, now these thoughts mixed with lots of fear, past bad experience, it bring anxiety and panic attack. A experience of panic attack is very bad, now as a safety response we start running away from these triggers, feelings and eventually feels something has gone wrong with us.
Now if you are suffering from severe anxiety, your sleep gets a big hammering and night becomes little more difficult than day because you are by yourself alone and then it's dark out there. Bringing the level of fear high as chatty mind goes more chatty and troublesome plus a single person mind thinks more than usual as it's not busy and darkness affects our fear level. In reality even if you are surrounded by many, you are still alone with your thoughts, so if not understood well, anxiety can bring some serious unsettling. Our mind is like a committee of members, Learn to reduce the voices inside your head, learn more.
What happens next is it effects your sleep making you tired next whole day. Now the next night comes and you try to sleep and again the chatty mind starts thinking crazy thoughts full of fear. Which brings stress hormone induced physical reactions, making it harder to be calm and peaceful. This happens every night now and that experience starts to overwhelm you. Slowly this becomes a mental memory and becomes a regular thing. Now you are restless during the day and at night. Which is a start of a chain of fear towards sleeping and scared of night. Learn more about how to have a good long term relationship with your partner, click here.
Dark and loneliness plays a very big role in terms of aggravating the issue of anxiety and panic. But a small understanding can surely help in reducing the fear and find the solution for your problem and making it easy to have a sound sleep.
How to have a sound sleep.
This is the chart of reaction. We receive signal, based on our memory and identity we make sensations and then we give out reaction. Reaction to sensations is the issue, what we need to work on. Lets learn how...
Cognition(Input)> Recognition(Memory/Identity)> Sensations(pleasant/unpleasant)> Reaction.
1. Exposure Response Prevention: Do you know, just because you are thinking non stop, you have developed an OCD towards your thoughts. Your thoughts have gone highly intrusive and your response to those thoughts is hurting you the most. But you were not born with it, its with time you developed this behavior, which can be easily unwired with right training. That is called ERP training of mind.
You need to train your mind towards the harmlessness of your thought, by exposing your self to your trigger and then staying with your anxiety, till it drops around 50% and doing nothing, no reply back, no talk back, just be with your fear. This way you telling your mind, what you scared of is actually have no power. This will be hard in beginning, but its a long term solution towards your problem. Slowly mind will learn and will stop getting scared from those things. You can meet a certified professional for ERP under guidance or search on you tube for more.
2. Observance and Acceptance Skill: Continuing with the reaction part, Improve your observance skill towards your emotions and accept them exactly the way they arrive, without trying to bring any alteration or running away from them. Just see them as they ARE. Their will be depression, nervousness, stress and worries in life, because we are mostly just busy with our thoughts and life can't be just one straight line. That's the by product of our thinking, and part of living. But running away and fighting bad thoughts and running towards good thoughts and attaching to pleasant feelings is equally destructive. Live the life full of acceptance, this will surely will make your life much easier. And help you sleep much more calmer. Running towards calm wont bring calm but accepting everything what life brings will bring higher calm. Learn more about Acceptance Click here
3. Anchorage on Breath: Our mind is always chatty, its like you are a boat in a highly turbulent water. Turbulent water here is our mind and boat is you. As boat uses anchorage to settle down in the turbulent water. Same way our mind needs a anchorage in order to bring the chatter down. And a quiet mind is a present mind, when you are present you are far away from stresses and worries and all kind of anxieties. Learn breath meditation or mantra meditation or walking meditation, just reduce the thinking to absolute zero, which is very easily achieved. You will sleep like a baby. If question of purpose of life is affecting your sleep, then learn about it, click here.
4. Not Attaching to the idea of being alone and depressed: Our life majorly works on idea and attachments to those ideas. We get attached to the idea that we should always be happy and should go through no struggle and be surrounded by lots of attention all the time. In reality, there are so many things which are not in our control, in-fact 99% of things apart from your reaction is not in your control.
So expecting things, when you can't control much is not realistic and practical. This view can certainly go against you. Sometimes we even get attached to negative views, like being alone and being depressed, instead of just taking them as views and ideas we make the personal and suffer. So as I said before taking things as they are and acceptance will make the life much easier and more easily livable. Just drop all kind of attachments and views and live by the moment. Plan for future but do not get attached to the outcome, either negative or positive. Live and sleep indifference to the outcome. Learn more why it is important to ignore your thoughts click here.
5. Don't get scared by your own fears: Its a byproduct of imagination, with fear arising we start doubting our own abilities in terms of handling situations. But who is building up this fear, there is no real ghost, it's our mind. Our mind is always thinking, which gives rise to stresses in our life, these stresses then becomes doubts which eventually give rise to fears and then these fears are responsible towards raising bodily reactions which makes the living difficult.
Interrogate your fears, whatever problem you are going through, has a solution, and understand its just a outcome of a thought, nothing more than a thought. Not worrying about your thoughts, getting over and understanding your fears will definitely take the pressure off and bring more calmness in sleep and life. Interested in learning more about how to interrogate your fears click here
6. Understanding the impermanence part of life: Whatever situation or loss you are going through will definitely change, nothing stays like this forever. Either you will get over it or some other thing will replace your problem. So staying on particular mindset will not bring any benefit or resolve. It's best to let go and live life for betterment. Letting go of your stresses, your thoughts, worries will bring a big change in your sleep and life overall. And why let go, because nothing stays permanent.
7. Meditation: There is no other better way of understanding everything about life than meditation, sitting down, being aware of your mind and thoughts. Meditation will teach you, so much about life and our mind. Once you understand your mind, you can come up with so many ways to tackle the problems mind throws at you. And get out of any problem you are going through. So Start meditation.
8. Patience: We are living our life this way since so many years, so habits take time to change. I have been meditating since last 4-5 years and still when I sit for meditation my mind runs away and I can get it to go quiet for just 10-15 minutes and then runs away again and I bring it back. So patience is the key, with patience, you will improve your experience, which will improve the self image which will fill you with new confidence and make weak mind strong. You can use this confidence to tackle any problem you are going through. So stay patient and keep practicing observance, acceptance, quieting mind, living in present and interrogating your fears. Learn how to remove suicidal feelings, click here.
These things will not just help in improving the sleep but your overall life will be much better.
Calm Mind Power
#CantSleep #SleepBetter #SleepNatural #SleepLikeaBaby #DarkandAnxiety #AnxietyAndPanicAttacks #PanicAttack #Meditation #BePatient #BestOutcome #Impermanence #AttachingToViews #BetterViews #Depression #AnchorOnBreath #Anchor #WalkingMeditation #Fear #FearIsntReal #NonReaction #Acceptance #AcceptanceToLife #HigherPeace #MoreHappiness #MindEducation #StayPatient #LivingInPresent #ChattyMind #Overthinking #Interrogation #MindUnderstanding #DarknessAndFear #mentalhealth